Name Change
Online Services
Caption text is optional; this copy for placement only.

In order to get a court order changing your name or a child’s name, you must file a petition in the Superior Court in the county where you live. You can then use the court order to change the birth certificate, passport, social security card, driver’s license, and other documents.

After you file your petition to change the name, you will get a court hearing. Before your hearing, you will have to put a notice in a court-approved newspaper for four weeks in a row, one day per week.


Newspapers of General Circulation for Legal Advertising in Tuolumne County in Accordance with California Government Code Section 6000, et seq.  State law requires that certain documents must be published in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the case is filed. Currently, the only adjudicated newspaper in Tuolumne County is The Union Democrat, 84 S. Washington Street, Sonora, CA, 95370, phone (209) 532-7151, www.uniondemocrat.com.

If you are trying to change the name of your child, you will also have to let the other parent know so that he or she has a chance to come to court if he or she doesn’t agree. If both parents agree, they both can sign the petition to change their child’s name.

© 2009 Superior Court of California, County of Tuolumne